Recent improvements to the natural area include:
- New boat ramp
- Formalized car and boat trailer parking
- Stabilization along the shoreline to prevent erosion and re-establish native vegetation
- Several fishing and overlook platforms
- Floating crew dock
- Pedestrian Bridge to connect the north and south parcel
- Renovations to the existing soft-surface trail along with the installation of hard surface trails
- New playground and a picnic shelter
- New park office and restrooms
Though the natural area surrounding Lake Lawson and Lake Smith is being improved by the City of Virginia Beach, the City of Norfolk still owns the water/reservoir and 25 feet around the water. As such, Norfolk currently controls the use of water regulations, including the requirement for a boat permit to use the water.
For shelter reservations, please call (757) 385-PARK (7275).