Apply today to earn valuable work experience with the City of Virginia Beach and local businesses!
- Jan. 15: Application Open
- March 11: Application Close
- March 18 - April 12: Interviews and Enrollment
- June 17- June 21 | Orientation (in person)
- June 24: First Day of Work
- Aug. 7: Last Day of Work and Recognition Ceremony
- Participants aged between 16 - 21
- Reside in the City of Virginia Beach (validated with a report card or college transcript)
- Adhere to all program policies and procedures as outlined in the SYEP Participant Handbook.
- Commit to the entire 8-week program and the entire job readiness orientation
- Work each week from June until August up to 7 days per week as needed.
- Complete and submit all forms and documents by the above-referenced application deadline
- Complete and submit application
- Two professional recommendations via the SYEP Application Recommendation form (recommendations from family members or friends will not be accepted)
- Most recent report card/ college transcript (must include youth’s name and home address)
- Original Social Security Card (non-laminated)
- Government-issued photo ID (driver’s license, learner’s permit, school ID, or VA identification card)
- Resume (optional)
*All completed documents must be sent to SYEP@VBgov.com by the deadline provided by program staff.
SYEP has taught me a lot about saving money and having budgets…the program also set me up for a job for my future.
I think the program opens up opportunities and it allows supervisors to kind of go out on a limb and see how the youth will participate and operate in those settings.
I knew that saving could help you, but I never knew how much until I went to the [SYEP] Orientation. Thank you SYEP!
I’ve learned a lot [about SYEP]. The summer really helped me to have an understanding of what my future will be like. I’ve actually been bragging about [SYEP]! It was a great experience.
Through the support of dedicated employers, our program is able to place Virginia Beach youth in meaningful jobs during the summer. If your organization is interested in providing part-time employment this summer, review the benefits and requirements below and submit your application by March 20. You must also attend the SYEP Supervisor meeting on May 10 via Microsoft Teams.
When investing in the youth of Virginia Beach, employers are doing more than just providing them with summer jobs. Employers benefit from participation in SYEP in several ways:
- 94% stated that SYEP has helped them gain a better understanding of career choices and/or education options for the future.
- 92% stated that SYEP has better prepared them for the future.
- Providing meaningful jobs in Virginia Beach will help them see the great opportunities our community has to offer and keep our great talent here.
- Employers are provided a Job Coach for additional support to both the participant and the supervisor.
- Main worksite is located in the City of Virginia Beach.
- Commit to pay the minimum rate provided by SYEP Staff.
- Provide productive work assignments to develop a work ethic, basic job skills, and workplace expectations, and explore career interests.
- Offer 27 hours of meaningful work each week between June - August.
- Follow the requirements stated in the SYEP Partnership Agreement.
We loved having the girls working at EMS this summer. Once they graduate from college, I would definitely like for them to look us up.
The youth assigned to our area were very well equipped to handle our requests. There were 4 Supervisors in our area that worked with 11 youth workers and we all learned a few things as well as taught a few things. We were able to get a good idea of the youth workers potential and would love to see them all back again. We were very impressed with their advanced skillsets and desires to learn more. Every time we gave them one task that we thought would take them some time they were finished ahead of time. We gave them a variety of tasks. Some of the fun items and some of the not so fun items. They welcomed and handled them all very well.
Can't host a youth worker, but still want to be involved? Show your support for SYEP by sponsoring a youth worker this summer.
For only $3,700, your organization can help provide one SYEP applicant with eight weeks of experience and one week of professional development. Invest in Virginia Beach’s future workforce today! Contact SYEP Staff at SYEP@vbgov.com or (757) 385-0432 for more details.
SYEP Previous Community Partners
- ABNB Federal Credit Union
- America Saves for Young Workers
- BankOn Hampton Roads
- Beach Ford
- Coastal Hospitality – Holiday Inn North Beach
- Dollar Bank
- Hampton Roads Sanitation District (HRSD)
- IMS: Gear
- Mass Mutual
- Safelite AutoGlass
- Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel
- Summer Jobs Connect
- Tidewater Finance Company
- Youth Career Center of Hampton Roads
SYEP City Department Partners
- Communications Department
- Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Cultural Affairs
- Economic Development
- Housing & Neighborhood Preservation
- Human Resources
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Museums & Historic Resources
- Parks & Recreation
- Public Utilities
- Public Works
- STiR Office
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools
- Virginia Cooperative Extension