This 15,000-square-foot beach park features wheelchair-accessible entrances and an incredible playground that includes poured-in-place surfacing, raised sand tables for sandcastle building at an accessible height, a sensory board for children who are autistic and visually impaired, and a sway boat.
The playground also boasts sculptural features such as dolphins, a surfboard, and a wave that are all fully accessible for children to pretend to ride the waves and swim with the dolphins. Wood polymer decking extends from the playground to accessible seating areas with an umbrella and hand-operated sand scoop designed to be used by a person in a wheelchair, allowing everyBODY to play in the sand.
- Fully accessible playground
- Beach wheelchairs that are FREE to use (available as first come first serve)
- Between April 1 - Oct. 1 beach chairs are available for use in the small Grommet Island "park" area (supply is limited and available as first come first serve)
- An attendant should be available between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. for assistance
- Public restrooms
Beach-accessible wheelchairs are FREE and available for use in the park unless otherwise approved by staff. Please see a park attendant located at the 2nd Street/Grommet Island Park Handicap Center to check out a wheelchair at no cost.
From November through April or if an attendant is unavailable please call (757) 385-1100 to reserve a beach wheelchair.
Park Attendant Hours
- May 1 - Oct. 31 | 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.