All programs offered by Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation encourage participation by a diverse population, accommodate those with varying abilities, and support diverse learning styles. When participants require additional support, our Inclusion Specialists develop accommodation plans and provide other assistance as appropriate.
We offer reasonable accommodations to enable an individual's successful participation in our programs and services. To access this service, complete an Inclusion, Accommodation & Special Needs Request Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the request is received, an Inclusion Specialist will call you to obtain additional information and begin the process.
Inclusion, Accommodation & Special Needs Request Form
Is an accommodation required to participate in a program?
No, federal law prohibits us from demanding that you submit a request; however, it is important to realize that all participants (no matter what their abilities) are required to meet the minimum participation guidelines and desired behavior expectations of a program (check with the program’s supervisor to see what these are). An accommodation assists staff in creating an environment where the participant can have a successful and enjoyable recreation experience.
What are some common accommodations?
- Use of adapted equipment
- Adaptations to program games / activities
- Behavior management charts / individualized techniques
- Use of visual aids
- Partial participation
Do you provide a one-to-one staff?
No, this is not a therapeutic environment – depending on the program or situation, Parks & Recreation may add a staff above ratio to ensure that all participant’s needs are being met. Program and participant safety is our main concern.
- To provide services to the City’s diverse communities by assuring accessibility for all residents to quality programs, public spaces, and parks.
- Increase social capital by connecting residents to their communities through shared investment in the creation and delivery of positive developmental experiences.
- Support internal and external customers through consultation, bridging resources, promoting universal programming, inclusivity, youth development, and utilizing volunteers.